Friday, January 14, 2011

Who needs Power - Computer Friday

I'm waiting for wireless power.  But it will probably get here about the same time my flying car does so I'm not holding out hope.  I had two customer calls this week where their computer and monitor just stopped working.

Imagine that, just poof, no more computer.  Most people would freak out I suppose.  Scratch that, most people do freak out.   Then they call tech support.  I'm happy to help out but this isn't something that I can fix over the phone so I pay a visit to them in their office.

Complaint #1 - My monitor won't come on.  User has rebooted (Twice, got to give them points for that) and is now just sitting and looking longingly at one dead monitor.  I do the first thing any good tech will do, I check that it's plugged into the wall.   Trust me on this, it happens.  I find that it's plugged in good and tight so next I check the plug on the monitor itself.  Viola!  We have power and I am greeted by a nice picture of her kitten snuggling with her bunny.  Sigh.

Complaint #2 - My computer just stopped working.  It was working fine all morning and then, POW, nothing.  Really?  It made a pow noise?  That's weird.  Be right there.  I get to the office and sure enough the computer is not on.  I crawl under the desk, (my most favorite part of the job) push two pair of shoes and a bag full of clothes out of the way and take a look.  No lights anywhere.   Plugged into the wall?  Check.  Plugged into the computer?  Oh, now I see the problem.  Yeah, your big hobbit feet must have kicked the plug out of the back of the computer. Stop trying to use it as a foot rest.  Sigh.

This next little story goes back awhile.  I got a call from someone that was setting up a new office and in the process of hooking up the computers before the staff arrived.  There was one computer left and they couldn't get network connectivity.  So I had them check the normal stuff and yes it was plugged in.  Next was a check of the closet where all the cables went to hang out and the computer was plugged in there as well.  I suggest we log in and try running a few commands, all of which indicated that the computer in fact had no network connectivity and couldn't get to the internet.  This probably went on for about 20 minutes as I tried everything I could think of.  Finally, it was brought to my attention that, oops, the network cable was in fact not plugged in.

You may wonder if I got mad and went off on the user since one of the first questions I asked was if the computer was plugged in.   Nope, I married her.

Here's a little Windows 7 Tip for you.  We have enough junk laying around and our desktops are the same way.  Windows 7 gets rid of the extra windows that are behind your active window. Just hit the Windows+Home key to minimize all inactive windows. To restore the windows just hit those same keys again.

And for my Mac lovers, I don't have any tips.  I don't use my Mac that much.  :D

Little computer humor for you..

No comments: