Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tuesday - The Zombie Review


I hate zombies.  I love zombies.  I'm afraid of zombies.  I'm afraid not in the way people are afraid of vampires or ghosts.  Those things aren't real.  Zombies scare me because they can be real.  Not otherworldly real but horrible disease gone wrong real.  Zombies are all the rage it seems, replacing vampires as the go to monster.  I'm going to touch on three zombie related items that have been my favorite.

Movie - Zombieland

I have watched this movie at least a half dozen times and I never grow tired of it.  It could be Emma Stone but I'm not sure.  If you have not had a chance to watch this yet.  Do it.  It's not scary at all so don't use that as an excuse.  It is a little gross, there are zombies running around after all, eating people.  And any movie that has Bill Murray dressed up like a zombie earns a big thumbs up from me.







Book - Feed


First of all, I'm not inclined to change the picture to match the line of Zombieland.  I'm a) lazy or b) don't know how.  I found this book on in the bookstore on my iPad.  I downloaded the sample and was hooked immediately.  It takes place in the future and you guessed it, the zombies were created because of someone trying to cure something.  The story takes place in 2039 and the zombies have been contained, to a point.  The world has turned to bloggers to provide the news because the mainstream media was unreliable during the initial outbreak.  The story focuses on three bloggers as they are picked to cover an up and coming presidential candidate.  So yeah, right in the middle of the a zombie book, a political thriller breaks out. If only there had been time travel if would've been the perfect book for me.  This is the first in a trilogy of books and I can't wait until the next two are published!




Videogame - Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare

And again the picture doesn't line up.  Just pitiful.  Anyway.  This is a FPS that takes place in the old west.  It's a add-on to Red Dead Redemption which itself was a blast of a game.  In that game you basically rode around on your horse, shooting bad guys, robbing trains and pretty much doing anything you wanted to.  You could go anywhere you on the map and little missions would pop up that helped the story line along.  Undead Nightmare is the same except um, there are zombies.  Lots of zombies.  And it's kind of unnerving to be galloping along on your horse only to turn the corner and run into 25 zombies milling about.  It's easy enough to gallop away most times but if they grab you off your horse you could be in trouble.  I think what gets to me the most about Zombies is the noise they make.  That groan just sends shivers up my spine and there have been a couple of moments in this game where I yelled at the tv for the zombies to just leave me alone, while running away.  Not exactly bad ass cowboy behavior.

But zombies are scary.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Creepy topic for sure. I think I will skip the man eating zombie stuff. How do you feel about baby dolls that come alive?

Mike said...

I'm ok with Chuckie but ventriloquist dummies freak me out. And that clown doll from Poltergeist.