Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday - It's playoff day!

The Ravens are getting ready to kick off their playoff game against Kansas City. I thought about holding off this entry until later but if they lose, I'm not going to be in a happy mood and then there would'vebeen no blog. And, I have a schedule to keep.

I mentioned that my loyalty mainly lies with 3 teams. Two hometown, one not so much.

I'll concentrate on the Orioles today. The fact that I go to them first should tell you what I feel about them. I can't remember a moment in my life that I wasn't a fan. I love baseball. I'm a big nerd and I love all the numbers. But this recent run has hardened my heart against the black and orange. They made a lot of moves this year and my heart is jumping up and down going, "Hey, nice job!" My head is going, "Shut up." Head wins for now. I have witnessed some great events in my lifetime. I was at Memorial Stadium for the last game in 1982 when Earl retired and the O's had won three straight to force what was essentially a one game playoff with the Brewers. When the game was over, this happened.


And I'll never forget it.

Oh speaking of never forgetting, I was here too....


I tried to find some video but all I could get my hands on were people taking video of their television. Not the best quality there.
When Cal did the lap around the field, this grown man cried. A little. Hey, it's allowed.










I watched this on TV and it still hurts. Deep deep hurt. That little bastard stole an out and helped the O's lose a playoff game against theYankees that they might have won. That was 1996 and I don't think they've been the same ever since.










I'll never stop following them. I'll never give up on them. But why does it have to be this hard to root for a sports team?

2 comments:

shannon.zepp said...

Trav and I went to the Sports Legends Museum near Camden Yards - have you been there? (Huge thing on the Colts that my dad would love, but is way before my time.) Anyway, we got into the conversation: as much as we love Cal, and love the good story - did he do more harm than good to the Baltimore Franchise, long term? How many short stops did we lose out on because we were protecting his streak? What are your thoughts?

- Shannon

Mike said...

I don't think he did any such thing. Look at the shortstops of that time and there are none that I would've picked over Cal. The problem with the O's rests firmly at the top. I thought it was going to be great when Angelos bought this team because there was a real fear that they would up and move to DC when EBW died. Hopefully they are finally on the right track and Angelos just let's the baseball men (McPhail and Buck) do what they know how to do.