Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sports Sunday - Love them Blue Devils

It is Super Bowl Sunday and I really don't want to watch the game.  I'm probably in the minority because this day is as close to a national holiday you can get without actually being one.  But I hate the Steelers.  Hate them.  Hate them.  Hopefully I'm getting my point across.  Why do I hate?  Because I'm a fan of the Ravens and the Steelers are always standing in the way of the Ravens reaching the promised land of the Super Bowl.   There is not a single player on the Steelers that I like.   You take any player off that team and put them on the Ravens and I would be hard pressed to root for them.   If Hines Ward ever put on a purple jersey (shudder the thought) I would cheer for a TD because it's the team that matters.  But I hate that smiling face.

This week the Terps were playing Duke and I caught a lot of flak for being a Duke fan.  How could anyone in Maryland root for the Blue Devils?  I was compared to a *gasp* Yankees fan for just liking the best team.  Well, I'm not.  I've always liked the Blue Devils.  My dad has always been a Duke fan and I can remember watching games when I was 12 or 13 years old.   Just a few years after Coach K arrived at Duke and right when they were beginning to make the tourney on a routine basis.   I remember them losing to Louisville in the finals in '86.   Then came the string of Final Four appearances and a huge blowout loss at the hands of UNLV in 1990.

But the glory days were right ahead.  Back to back National Championships followed and the '91-'92 team has to be my favorite of all time.  Christian Laettner, Bobby Hurley & Grant Hill made up one of the best teams in college basketball history.  That year the Blue Devils were the first team to repeat as champs since UCLA in late 60's to early 70's.  And of course that was also the year of this:



Still gives me chills to watch it today.  Duke won the National Championship again last year and had another close call.



So, I'm a Duke fan.  Get over it.  I didn't jump on the bandwagon last year or even 5 years ago.  I couldn't love them anymore if I were actually from North Carolina or had been lucky enough to attend Duke.

In a couple of weeks I get to take my Dad to Cameron Indoor Stadium to see Duke play live.  It's one of those once in a lifetime trips that you often don't get to share with your dad.  So if you hate me for loving the Blue Devils, I'll deal with it.  You often hate the ones you most want to be like.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome post, honey. I really like your closing lines. (Is it wrong that I didn't watch the videos?)